We have been learning about water at school. Naturally my blog is about WATER.
I found some interesting facts about water in the Knowledge Encyclopedia with Prof. Hein Stien:
- Water is found only on earth. No other planet has water.
- Container ships, though made of metal, do not sink because of buoyancy.
- And you know we use 10000 liters of water to make 1 pair of jeans.
My mom came up with some questions and I had to ask people to help me answer these questions.
1. What is the chemical formula for water?
Ans. H2O (Answered by Ajji)
2. What is buoyancy?
Ans. Bouyancy is the ability for something to float in water. (Answered by Elita)
3. Why does ice float on water?
Ans. Ice floats in water because the solid form of water is lighter. (Answered by Irene)
4. Name three popular water pollutants?
Ans. Heavy metals, plastic and biowaste. (Answered by Tashina)
Water is very important for life. It helps plants grow, it keeps us hydrated, gives us electricity, is a habitat for many water animals. This is why we protect our water. Some ways to protect out water is to
- Not waste water while brushing teeth or bathing
- Have rain water harvesting
- Don’t throw garbage in your water source
Here’s an interesting article on Water Footprint that shows how much water we use when we buy and use other products: http://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2010/03/31/water-footprinting-my-water-footprint/